Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Russia renounce "Topol" in favor of "Yars". 01.12.2010.
Over the past period pilot alerting missiles 'Yars' has established itself as a reliable weapon, and therefore the decision on re-rolling groups for this type of missile systems. The first regiment with a new mobile missile system had been put on pilot combat duty in early 2010.
Meanwhile, Adopt the missiles of the Topol-M silo-based will continue. It is expected that by late 2010 for combat duty will arise sixth missile regiment, armed with stationary Topol. Work on upgrading missile regiments on missile system Topol-M 'steady bases will continue in 2011.
Development "Yars" deals Moscow. The missile will be capable of carrying nuclear warheads 3-4 individual guidance capacity of 150-300 kilotons each. Technical data missiles are classified. It is assumed that it can hit targets at a distance of 11,000 kilometers.
Source: http://www.lenta.ru/news/2010/11/30/rvsn/
Monday, November 22, 2010
Worm Was Perfect for Sabotaging Centrifuges. 22.11.2010.
Their conclusion, while not definitive, begins to clear some of the fog around the Stuxnet worm, a malicious program detected earlier this year on computers, primarily in Iran but also India, Indonesia and other countries.
The paternity of the worm is still in dispute, but in recent weeks officials from Israel have broken into wide smiles when asked whether Israel was behind the attack, or knew who was. American officials have suggested it originated abroad.
The new forensic work narrows the range of targets and deciphers the worm’s plan of attack. Computer analysts say Stuxnet does its damage by making quick changes in the rotational speed of motors, shifting them rapidly up and down.
Changing the speed “sabotages the normal operation of the industrial control process,” Eric Chien, a researcher at the computer security company Symantec, wrote in a blog post.
Those fluctuations, nuclear analysts said in response to the report, are a recipe for disaster among the thousands of centrifuges spinning in Iran to enrich uranium, which can fuel reactors or bombs. Rapid changes can cause them to blow apart. Reports issued by international inspectors reveal that Iran has experienced many problems keeping its centrifuges running, with hundreds removed from active service since summer 2009.
“We don’t see direct confirmation” that the attack was meant to slow Iran’s nuclear work, David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security, a private group in Washington that tracks nuclear proliferation, said in an interview Thursday. “But it sure is a plausible interpretation of the available facts.”
Intelligence officials have said they believe that a series of covert programs are responsible for at least some of that decline. So when Iran reported earlier this year that it was battling the Stuxnet worm, many experts immediately suspected that it was a state-sponsored cyberattack.
Until last week, analysts had said only that Stuxnet was designed to infect certain kinds of Siemens equipment used in a wide variety of industrial sites around the world.
But a study released Friday by Mr. Chien, Nicolas Falliere and Liam O. Murchu at Symantec, concluded that the program’s real target was to take over frequency converters, a type of power supply that changes its output frequency to control the speed of a motor.
The worm’s code was found to attack converters made by two companies, Fararo Paya in Iran and Vacon in Finland. A separate study conducted by the Department of Homeland Security confirmed that finding, a senior government official said in an interview on Thursday.
Then, on Wednesday, Mr. Albright and a colleague, Andrea Stricker, released a report saying that when the worm ramped up the frequency of the electrical current supplying the centrifuges, they would spin faster and faster. The worm eventually makes the current hit 1,410 Hertz, or cycles per second — just enough, they reported, to send the centrifuges flying apart.
In a spooky flourish, Mr. Albright said in the interview, the worm ends the attack with a command to restore the current to the perfect operating frequency for the centrifuges — which, by that time, would presumably be destroyed.
“It’s striking how close it is to the standard value,” he said.
The computer analysis, his Wednesday report concluded, “makes a legitimate case that Stuxnet could indeed disrupt or destroy” Iranian centrifuge plants.
The latest evidence does not prove Iran was the target, and there have been no confirmed reports of industrial damage linked to Stuxnet. Converters are used to control a number of different machines, including lathes, saws and turbines, and they can be found in gas pipelines and chemical plants. But converters are also essential for nuclear centrifuges.
On Wednesday, the chief of the Department of Homeland Security’s cybersecurity center in Virginia, Sean McGurk, told a Senate committee that the worm was a “game changer” because of the skill with which it was composed and the care with which it was geared toward attacking specific types of equipment.
Meanwhile, the search for other clues in the Stuxnet program continues — and so do the theories about its origins.
Ralph Langner, a German expert in industrial control systems who has examined the program and who was the first to suggest that the Stuxnet worm may have been aimed at Iran, noted in late September that a file inside the code was named “Myrtus.” That could be read as an allusion to Esther, and he and others speculated it was a reference to the Book of Esther, the Old Testament tale in which the Jews pre-empt a Persian plot to destroy them.
Writing on his Web site last week, Mr. Langner noted that a number of the data modules inside the program contained the date “Sept. 24, 2001,” clearly long before the program was written. He wrote that he believed the date was a message from the authors of the program, but did not know what it might mean.
Last month, researchers at Symantec also speculated that a string of numbers found in the program — 19790509 — while seeming random, might actually be significant. They speculated that it might refer to May 9, 1979, the day that Jewish-Iranian businessman Habib Elghanian was executed in Iran after being convicted of spying for Israel.
Interpreting what the clues might mean is a fascinating exercise for computer experts and conspiracy theorists, but it could also be a way to mislead investigators.
Indeed, according to one investigator, the creation date of the data modules might instead suggest that the original attack code in Stuxnet was written long before the program was actually distributed.
According to Tom Parker, a computer security specialist at Securicon LLC, a security consulting firm based in Washington, the Stuxnet payload appeared to have been written by a team of highly skilled programmers, while the “dropper” program that delivered the program reflected an amateur level of expertise. He said the fact that Stuxnet was detected and had spread widely in a number of countries was an indicator that it was a failed operation.
“The end target is going to be able to know they were the target, and the attacker won’t be able to use this technique again,” he said.
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/world/middleeast/19stuxnet.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=stuxnet&st=cse
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Putin gave an account of the restoration in Russia after the summer fires. Work carried out in time. 01.11.2010.
"I set a task to complete all work on the construction of houses by November 1. It's done. All the houses are built, people have received housing and monetary compensation. There are several contentious issues, they are considered in court", - said Putin.
He thanked the builders and said he was satisfied with the quality of built environment. "In the Verhneya Vereya built over 400 houses, each of them with gas, electricity, sewerage and telephone. There are appliances, furniture available at a deep discount," - said the prime minister.
Putin noted that the amount of assistance to those whose property is destroyed by fire has been increased from 50 000 to 200 000 rubles (1220 to 4880 euro) per person. For each victim paid a million (24 400 euro).
In Vyksybsk District of Nizhny Novgorod region as a result of summer fires killed 22 people. The deputy head of the district was charged with negligence. Putin twice visited the Verhneya Vereya - inspected the village after a fire in July and followed the progress of work in September.
Fires in Russia have begun as a result of heat waves of summer 2010. In total, the fire covered more than 800 thousand hectares. Fire killed more than 50 people. In addition, Moscow suffered from smog, was recorded a sharp increase in mortality.
At the direction of Vladimir Putin, on-site construction of new homes for victims of the fire was set the camera to a recovery operation can be monitored live (http://premier.gov.ru/build/5.html?pos=0, other villages: http://premier.gov.ru/build/).
Source: http://www.lenta.ru/news/2010/11/01/firerecovery/
Vietnam receives first Russian submarine in 2013. 02.11.2010.
Vietnam has purchased from Russia six submarines of Project 636 at the end of 2009. The deal amounted to 1,8 billion dollars. Engaged in fulfillment of the order "Admiralty Shipyards", which, as previously reported, will be able to pass the customer on one submarine a year through the production of connection to the public ships of Project 636. Thus, Vietnam may get the last of the submarines purchased in 2018.
Currently, Vietnam does not have the submarine fleet, submarines of Project 636 will be the first submarine in service with the country. In March 2010, Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said the navy would help Vietnam establish a point-based submarines. It is also possible that Russia will give Vietnam a loan that the country will spend on the creation of databases, the purchase of various ships and the establishment of naval aviation.
Displacement of submarines of Project 636 "Varshavyanka" is 3.95 tons. Submarines capable of speeds up to 20 knots, and the battery life of their voyage is 45 days. Project 636 boats have six torpedo tubes caliber of 533 millimeters, which can also be used for setting mines and launch cruise missiles.
Source: http://www.lenta.ru/news/2010/10/29/submarine/
Thursday, October 28, 2010
EU rumbling over German-French fiscal discipline push. 27.2010.
EU leaders are on edge over the prospect of a full-blown political shoving match when they gather for a summit this Thursday. Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel and France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy have upset many of their partners with a call for EU treaty changes to enforce fiscal discipline.
Particularly alarming to some is Berlin’s demand to make it possible to suspend the voting rights of states which seriously violate key principles.
European Council President Herman Van Rompuy says his role is to find consensus amid
the member states’ varying positions.
Eurogroup chief Jean-Claude Juncker, also Luxembourg’s prime minister, said the Franco-German deal over reform of the EU’s budget rules was unacceptable.
European Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding (also of Luxembourg) said that reopening the Lisbon Treaty would be irresponsible.
Germany wants limited amendments to the treaty to allow for a permanent system to handle sovereign debt crises in countries that use the euro.
Merkel has threatened to block other reforms if no deal is reached on treaty alterations.
She did, however, bow to French demands to allow some political discretion over sanctions for deficit and debt deviants.
Analyst Daniel Gros, with the Centre for European Policy Studies, said: “It is very likely that other governments will see that the Germans have a point. Right now we do not have a procedure for restructuring the debt of a country in really big difficulties.”
At this Thursday and Friday’s talks in Brussels, EU leaders are expected to approve an agreement by a task force of finance ministers to impose sanctions on member states that violate budget deficit and debt limits.
Source: http://www.euronews.net/2010/10/27/eu-rumbling-over-german-french-fiscal-discipline-push/
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Russia. Reconstruction of the defense of Moscow in 1941. Russland. Rekonstruktion der Verteidigung Moskaus im Jahre 1941. 27.10.2010.

On Sunday, October 10, attended the reconstruction of the defense of Moscow in 1941. This is a historical and cultural event held every second Sunday of October. Various military-historical clubs restore events of one episode of the battle on the outskirts of Moscow.
Reconstruction itself is on the Borodino field a few miles from Mozhaisk (Russia, Moscow region).
In the summer I visited those places on a scooter, going to the museum building. Tour devoted to the 1812 war. Seen highly recommend it.
Photo report: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.
Historical note: Mozhaiskaya line of defense.
Unfavorable development of hostilities in the region of Bryansk Vyazma and created a great risk of Moscow. In order to consolidate leadership of troops westward remaining troops Reserve Front was on Oct. 10 handed over to the Western Front, the commander of which this day was appointed Army General Georgy Zhukov (Konev, abandoned by his deputy).
Oct. 12 Western Front troops were subject to Mozhaisk line of defense. However, the position of the Western Front, who took up defensive positions on Mozhaisk lines remained exceptionally high. At the front of the Moscow Sea to Kaluga in the Western Front, there were only about 90 thousand people. Under these conditions, the Front Command has sought to tightly cover only the most important trends leading to Moscow: Volokolamsk, Mozhaisk, Maloyaroslavetsky and Kaluga.
October 19 troops of the 43rd Army on Vereisky direction were subordinated to headquarters 33rd Army.
Already on October 13 fell Kaluga, October 16 - Borovsk, October 18 - Mozhaisk and Maloyaroslavets. Only the greatest tension forces managed to stop the enemy at the turn of the river Protva and Nara.
Oct. 16 began a general attack on the Wehrmacht Volokolamsk direction. Here particularly distinguished 316-th Infantry Division, Major-General I. Panfilov.
Despite the stubborn resistance to Soviet forces in late October 1941, German troops to the 4 th Army and 4-th tank group managed to bring down the connection of the Western Front with Mozhaisk line of defense almost throughout its length and gradually pressing them to Moscow. Fighting on the defensive line Mozhaisk lasted an average of 7-9 days, and at the direction of Volokolamsk 10-12 days. Although the Soviets have lost support in the face of engineering structures, to break the defensive line spent the time that the command of Red Army used to seal the combat formations of troops defending the capital.
Thus, to stabilize the defense on the distant outskirts of Moscow, failed, and fighting in late October, were already in the 80-100 km from Moscow.
German/Deutsch: Russland. Rekonstruktion der Verteidigung Moskaus im Jahre 1941.
Am Sonntag, 10. OKTOBER, nahmen an der Rekonstruktion der Verteidigung Moskaus im Jahre 1941. Dies ist eine historische und kulturelle Veranstaltung statt jeden zweiten Sonntag im Oktober. Verschiedene militär-historische Vereine wiederherstellen Ereignisse eine Episode der Schlacht am Stadtrand von Moskau.
Wiederaufbau selbst ist auf dem Feld Borodino ein paar Meilen von Moschaisk (Russland, Moskau Region).
Im Sommer besuchte ich die Orte auf einem Motorroller, geht auf das Museumsgebäude. Tour auf dem 1812 Krieg gewidmet. Gesehen sehr empfehlen.
Fotobericht: Teil 1, Teil 2, Teil 3, Teil 4.
Historische Anmerkung: Mozhaiskaya Verteidigungslinie.
Ungünstige Entwicklung der Feindseligkeiten in der Region Brjansk Wjasma und schuf ein großes Risiko von Moskau. Zur Konsolidierung Führung der Truppen nach Westen verbliebenen Truppen Reserve Front am 10. Oktober an die Westfront, der Kommandant von denen heute Armeegeneral Georgi Schukow ernannt wurde (Konew von seinem Stellvertreter aufgegeben) übergeben wurde.
12. Oktober Westfront Truppen unterlagen Verteidigungslinie Moschaisk. Allerdings blieb die Lage an der Westfront, dauerte, bis Verteidigungsstellungen auf Moschaisk Linien außergewöhnlich hoch. An der Vorderseite des Moskauer Meer nach Kaluga in der Westfront gab es nur etwa 90 Tausend Menschen. Unter diesen Bedingungen hat die Front Command suchte eng nur auf die wichtigsten Trends, die zu Moskau: Volokolamsk, Moschaisk, Maloyaroslavetsky und Kaluga.
19. Oktober Truppen der 43. Armee auf Werejskij Richtung wurden ins Hauptquartier 33. Armee unterstellt.
Bereits am 13. Oktober fiel Kaluga, 16. Oktober - Borovsk, 18. Oktober - Moschaisk und Malojaroslawez. Nur die größten Zugkräfte gelungen, den Feind an der Wende des Flusses Protwa und Nara zu stoppen.
16. Oktober begann ein allgemeiner Angriff auf die Wehrmacht Volokolamsk Richtung. Hier besonders auszeichnen 316-Infanterie-Division, Generalmajor I. Panfilow.
Trotz der hartnäckigen Widerstand gegen die sowjetischen Truppen Ende Oktober 1941 die deutschen Truppen auf der 4. Armee und 4-ten Tank-Gruppe verwaltet zur Senkung der Verbindung der Westfront mit Moschaisk Linie der Verteidigung fast seiner ganzen Länge nach und nach Drücken sie nach Moskau. Fighting in der Defensive Line Moschaisk dauerte im Durchschnitt 7-9 Tage, und bei der Leitung von Volokolamsk 10-12 Tage. Obwohl die Sowjets Unterstützung im Angesicht der Kunstbauten, die Verteidigungslinie durchbrechen verloren haben verbrachte die Zeit, dass der Befehl der Roten Armee auf die Kampfverbände der Truppen zur Verteidigung der Hauptstadt Dichtung verwendet.
So zur Stabilisierung der Verteidigung auf dem fernen Stadtrand von Moskau, gescheitert, und die Bekämpfung der Ende Oktober wurden bereits in der 80-100 km von Moskau entfernt.